It's Sunday, Sept. 16, the 260th day of 2012. There are 106 days left in the year.
• The Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashana, begins at sunset.
• The pope ends a three-day Middle East “peace pilgrimage," making a plea for religious freedom amid a wave of violent demonstrations across the Muslim world. A4
• Protest organizers provide live music in Manhattan ahead of Occupy Wall Street's first anniversary Monday, when unsanctioned rallies will aim to reinvigorate the flailing populist movement. A6
• Union delegates may vote on a deal that could end the weeklong Chicago teachers strike. A3
• Britain's Prince William and his wife tour the Solomon Islands.
Highlights: In 1810, Mexicans were inspired to begin their successful revolt against Spanish rule by Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla and his “Grito de Dolores (Cry of Independence)." In 1857, “Jingle Bells," by James Pierpont, was copyrighted under its original title, “One Horse Open Sleigh." (The song, while considered a Christmastime perennial, was actually written for Thanksgiving.) In 1908, General Motors was founded in Flint, Mich., by William C. Durant.
Ten years ago: U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan announced that Iraq had unconditionally accepted the return of U.N. weapons inspectors.
Five years ago: O.J. Simpson was arrested in the alleged armed robbery of sports memorabilia collectors in Las Vegas. (Simpson was later convicted of kidnapping and armed robbery and sentenced to nine to 33 years in prison.)
One year ago: President Barack Obama signed into law a major overhaul of the nation's patent system to ease the way for inventors to bring their products to market.
Actress Janis Paige is 90. Actress Lauren Bacall is 88. Blues singer B.B. King is 87. Country singer David Bellamy is 62. Actor Mickey Rourke is 56. Magician David Copperfield is 56. Country singer-songwriter Terry McBride is 54. Comedian Molly Shannon is 48. Singer Marc Anthony is 44. Comedian-actress Amy Poehler is 41. Rock singer-musician Nick Jonas is 20.
— From wire reports